Ideas for Celebrating Library History and WLA's 125th at Your Library
Library Website. Create a special page on the library's website for all library history related information. Label the page "History" and place it under the "About" menu heading.
- Develop a timeline of your library's history.
- Write a brief history of your library. Include photographs and other visual materials. (Revise, update a previously written history.)
- Use or adapt the WLA 125th anniversary logo
- Provide a link to the WLA 125th anniversary webpage.
Social media. Establish an anniversary blog/social media site and seek stories from people in the community about the library's past and their involvement with the library.
Programs and activities. Conduct a variety of events and programs throughout the anniversary year.
- Organize a monthly book club around historical themes that will meet throughout the anniversary year.
- Develop an exhibit of historical artefacts related to the library or to the community. Use old library photos.
- Organize an art exhibit to be displayed in the library and/or throughout the community.
- Host a foundation fundraising event – murder mystery dinner with historic theme; silent auction.
- Host an Instagram photo contest, with submissions featuring some aspect of the library building.
- Create a time capsule.
Advocacy/public relations. Promote the ongoing value of libraries, especially to local elected and appointed officials.
- Request ‘Library Love Letters’ (how the library has made a difference) from patrons and display in library and/or throughout the community.
- Designate one day as the date for the "birthday party" or key special event. Have an open house with tours. Invite dignitaries. Arrange for entertainment. Publicize the event. Prepare a printed event program.
- Work with the local post office to create a pictorial postmark related to the library's anniversary. Create a souvenir envelope to go with the postmark and include an insert with the history of the library.
For more ideas, consult the following online resources:
Promotion and Celebration Ideas for Friends Groups (United for Libraries, ALA)
Tips on celebrating anniversaries from Wisconsin Library Heritage Center
Wisconsin State Law Library. Celebrating 175 Years of Service, 1836-2011